the essentials about essential oils | 2021
essential oils 101: do they work + how do you use them?
what are essential oils?
very simply put, essential oils are the "juices" we extract from plants or concentrated plant extracts. in the same way that these "juices" benefit the plant, they also provide benefits to humans.
unlike squeezing juice from an orange, extracting pure plant oils take much more effort and materials. for example, it takes:
- about 250 pounds of lavender flower make 1 pound of lavender essential oil.
- about 5,000 pounds of rose petals or lemon balm make 1 pound of rose or lemon balm essential oil.
not only do these volumes make essential oils a very potent material, but it also explains their cost.
types of essential oils
there are (almost) as many types of essential oils as there are plants and when you consider how many different essential oil blends you can create, the options are limitless.
there are essential oils for keeping you calm, energized, or focused or pretty much any other mood you're in the mood for.
how to use essential oils
essential oils are 100% pure directly from the plant which makes them very concentrated and strong so regardless of how you use essential oils be mindful about why and how you’re using them. only small doses are required.
experts also advise that it's a good idea not to use them routinely, as your body can get used to them, lowering their effectiveness.
we always advise customers to check with a medical professional before using any of our essential oils as the oils may
three ways you can use essential oils
aromatherapy involves smelling essential oils to improve health. it's a quick, convenient way to experience the essential oil.
as you breathe in, the oil’s aroma immediately stimulates your central nervous system, triggering an emotional response and depending on the essential oil, it can reduce anxiety and stress response quickly.
whichever method you choose, avoid direct contact with the essential oil and dilute it first.
aromatherapy methods include:
- straight shot: take deep breaths of the aroma after opening the bottle. start with very small breaths and keep the essential oil bottle 6-8 inches away to start.
- diffuser method: our personal fave, which involves adding 10-12 drops of essential oil to distilled water and start your diffuser. a diffuser is a device that disperses tiny oil particles around the room so you can breathe them in.
- dry evaporation: put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and smell the aroma as it disperses. this is a great method if you're on the go or travelling
- steam inhalation: a great way to use essential oils in the winter! put a few drops of essential oil in a bowl of hot water. put your head over the bowl, a towel over your head and breathe in the steam.
no matter which method you use, always start with a small amount of essential oil to ensure there are no allergies or side effects.
2. topical application
you can also reap the benefits by applying essential oils to your skin BUT only after diluting the essential oil with carrier oils. and always make sure you test a small area of your skin to prevent irritation or allergies.
some of the best carrier oils to mix your essential oils include coconut, almond, or jojoba oil.
the other option is to put the essential oil and carrier oil mixture into a rollerball bottle for easier application.
we'll have a lot more to say about essential oils so make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.